Cooking accident causes $300,000 in damage to apartment in Near South neighborhood
LINCOLN, Neb. (KOLN) - Lincoln Fire and Rescue says one person was hurt and extensive damage was caused to the second floor of an apartment complex following a fire Tuesday night.
Crews were called to the building just before 8:30 p.m. Tuesday night near 21st and A Streets.
Battalion Chief Jim Bopp said firefighters arrived to heavy fire coming from the second floor of the structure. LFR said crews also found someone outside the building who had been hurt when the fire broke out.
According to firefighters, that person was transported to a Lincoln hospital, but the extent of that person’s injuries is unclear.
LFR said firefighters worked to put out the fire from the outside first, before moving inside to extinguish the rest of it.
Chief Bopp said the cause of the fire appears to be a cooking accident due to food left unattended. The fire caused $250,000 in damage to the structure, and $50,000 in damage to the contents inside.
Firefighters said people living in all four unites of the apartment complex have been displaced.
Copyright 2022 KOLN. All rights reserved.