Two teens arrested as suspects in South Omaha homicide
OMAHA, Neb. (WOWT) - Omaha Police officers have arrested two teens in connection with the murder of a man earlier this month.
Officers responding to a 911 call report near 30th and Y streets at about 5 a.m. Saturday, Feb. 8, found Pedro Velazquez, 60, dead at the scene.
According to a Friday social media post from the Omaha Police Officers Association, Velazquez had been out walking his two dogs that morning and didn’t return home. One of the dogs remained by his side as the other returned to the Velazquez home a few blocks away, leading the victim’s wife to his body.
OPOA said two 15-year-olds have been arrested and are facing charges in the South Omaha man’s murder. Omaha Police clarified in a news release sent Friday afternoon that one of the boys is 16 years old, confirming that both teens had been booked on first-degree murder charges. If convicted, they could each receive a life sentence.
“One of them had been placed on juvenile probation less than a month before he shot and killed Mr. Velasquez,” the post states. “Authorities have found no motive.”
Authorities say the younger teen shot Velazquez in the head.
On Friday, both juveniles were formally charged as adults in court with first degree murder. The judge denied both of them bond. They have preliminary hearings set for April.
First Alert 6 tried to get comment from Velazquez’s widow, but family members said she wasn’t available to talk.
The Omaha Police Officers Association has something to say though.
“He was murdered by juveniles—who were on probation—hunting,” Vice President Dan Martin told the Nebraska Legislature’s Judiciary Committee Friday.
The youths were charged on the same day the police union testified in favor of a bill from State Sen. Eliot Bostar which would take juvenile probation services away from the Judicial Branch and put them in a new agency under the Executive Branch.
They said Valezquez’s killing is the latest example of teenagers on probation committing violent crimes, and that they don’t see accountability under the current juvenile probation system.
“All of these accused murderers were on juvenile probation at the time,” Martin said. “When I say it can’t get much worse, it can’t.”
The bill’s opponents said, if passed, it would put juvenile and county court judges at the mercy of the governor.
“Since coming to power, the Executive Branch administration has slashed direct services to the population within their authority,” said Omni Behavioral Health CEO Dr. Bill Reay. “Reducing support for public safety services would have immediate results that would not be beneficial.”
The bill would have to get out of the Judiciary Committee before being debated on the floor.
—
This is a developing story. Stay with First Alert 6 for updates.
—
Get a first alert to breaking news delivered to your inbox. Sign up for First Alert 6 email alerts.
Copyright 2025 WOWT. All rights reserved.














