Tablet or associated wire cause of fire that killed two animals

By  | 

LINCOLN, Neb. (KOLN) - Emergency crews rescued three animals from a structure fire in the area of 81st and East Avon Lane on Monday morning, but could not save two others.

Lincoln Fire and Rescue said the flames were put out shortly after arriving, and a shortcut through the back of the home allowed crews to get to the fire quickly.

Two dogs were saved from the structure, but two cats were not able to be rescued. A hedgehog was also taken out safety.

The homeowners were not at the residence at the time of the fire, and a neighbor who saw heavy smoke called it in.

LFR said roughly $60,000 worth of damage was done to the home.

Fire Inspector Rick Campos said the cause of the fire was likely a tablet or an associated wire connected to a tablet.

While exactly how the fire was sparked is still unknown, Campos advised residents to always use a manufacturer issued charger, make sure wires are not frayed or torn, and avoid plugging a charger into an extension cord when possible.