During the month of January, 9 people were killed in traffic crashes on Nebraska roadways, according to data collected by the Nebraska Department of Transportation.
Of those nine fatalities occurred in nine crashes:
• Five of the eight vehicle occupants killed were not wearing safety belts.
• There were no fatalities on the interstate, seven on other highways, and two on local roads.
• Four of the fatalities were age 65 or older.
• Seven of the fatalities were in rural locations.
• One of the fatalities was a pedestrian.
There were 15 fatalities in January of 2018.