UPDATE: Police say accidental overdose cause of deaths at Grand Island hotel

Published: Sep. 10, 2019 at 3:43 PM CDT
Email this link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

UPDATE: 11-13-2019

Grand Island Police have concluded the investigation into the death of two people at a Grand Island hotel.

Back on September 9, police responded to 3021 S. Locust Street in reference to the discovery two deceased persons in a room. That investigation has concluded that the cause of death of both persons was accidental overdose of methamphetamine.

They were identified as 38-year-old Joshua Perkins and 37-year-old Shannon Sybert.

Autopsies were performed on the deceased. Both results concluded that ‘Acute Methamphetamine Toxicity’ to be the cause of death. Combined with the physical evidence and a thorough investigation, the Grand Island Police Department is closing this case having found that accidental overdose was the cause of death for both parties.

This is a tragic situation for the families of the deceased, and the community as a whole.

If you or someone you care about is suffering from addiction, please seek help from community resources such as the Central Nebraska Council on Alcoholism and Addiction (CNCAA) at 308-385-5520 or nationally from the National Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration hotline at 1-800-662-HELP (4357) and help prevent death by addiction or overdose.


UPDATE: 9-12-19

Police have identified the bodies found earlier this week at a Grand Island motel as Joshua Perkins, 38, Grand Island and Shannon Sybert, 37, of Shelton. Police say no foul play was involved and are awaiting toxicological reports to determine the causes of death.



Grand Island Police hope autopsies will reveal why two people found dead in a South Locust motel room died.

Police Captain Jim Duering said the bodies were discovered at 12:44 Monday afternoon at the Red Coach Inn in the 3000 block of South Locust Street.

Duering did not reveal their names, other than to say one was a 38-year-old Grand Island man and the other a 37-year-old Shelton woman. Duering also said a third occupant of the room was taken to CHI Health St. Francis hospital for treatment, but he did not say what the man was treated for. He did say that the surviving occupant showed evidence of drug intoxication.

Duering said there were no external injuries which would indicate a violent death for either person, but said they are investigating the case as suspicious deaths.

The bodies were scheduled for autopsies this week, but it's not known when the results would be available.

Latest News

Latest News