Cigarette causes fire at Lincoln apartment complex

By  | 

LINCOLN, Neb. (KOLN) - Fire investigators are warning smokers to always be cautious, after a fire at an apartment complex Sunday.

Lincoln Fire and Rescue were called to south 13th and D Streets after 7 p.m.

The small fire was on the east door entrance and the fire inspector said it is cigarette related.

The owner has the complex registered with the health department as a smoke-free property.

Fire inspector Rick Campos said if some smokers aren't going to be responsible then be responsible for yourself as a smoker or non-smoker.

In the last month, Campos said he has been called to six cigarette related fires.

This fire has an estimated damage of about $500.

Fire officials said people should have working smoke detectors, exit plans and two ways out of a building in case of a fire.