House fire caused by electrical wiring from a ceiling fan

By  | 

LINCOLN, Neb. (KOLN) - Lincoln Fire and Rescue said the cause of a fire in northeast Lincoln was electrical.

Crews responded to the fire around 5:30 a.m. Wednesday at 4902 Greenwood Street.

The call came in from the next door neighbor who saw heavy smoke coming from the home.

LFR said the fire was on the main floor of the home and it took crews awhile to find the fire and knock it down.

A LFR battalion chief said the fire started by electrical wiring from a ceiling fan. He said it is not something that is common.

The fire caused a total of $60,000 in damages: $40,000 to the structure and $20,000 to the items inside the home.

Nobody was home at the time of the fire.

The American Red Cross was on scene and said the residents of the home will be displaced. They have since contacted a female resident to let her know what happened.