Advertisement

Former Husker football players charged with sexual assault appear in court Thursday morning

On Tuesday, Dec. 10, 2019, Lincoln Police said Andre Hunt was arrested for the offense of...
On Tuesday, Dec. 10, 2019, Lincoln Police said Andre Hunt was arrested for the offense of Aid/Abet 1st Degree Sexual Assault, and Katerian LeGrone was arrested for the offense of 1st Degree Sexual Assault. Both were redshirt freshman on the Nebraska Football teams and suspended indefinitely in August 2019.(KOLNKGIN)
Published: Jan. 8, 2020 at 5:54 PM CST
Email this link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

Two former Husker football players who were officially charged with first-degree sexual assault on Wednesday appeared in court on Thursday.

Katerian LeGrone and Andre Hunt both appeared and were read their charges, and had their next court appearance scheduled for February 26 at 10 a.m.

LeGrone had his bond of ten percent of $50,000, which was originally paid on Dec. 12, continued.

For Hunt, his bond of ten percent of $100,000 was continued, as well.

The two former Husker football players were charged with first-degree sexual assault on Wednesday, according to a probable cause affidavit filed in Lancaster County on December 11th, 2019.

According to the probable cause affidavit, the victim showed up to Hunt’s apartment on August 25. Soon, they were in the bedroom where the woman says she felt forced into sexual contact.

She says she didn't say no because she felt uncomfortable and was fearful of what would happen.

According to the documents she had a blanket in front of her face, but LeGrone came in and they both had sex with her.

LeGrone's attorney said the probable cause affidavit sounds bad, but that doesn't mean it's true.

"We have seen these types of cases before where the probable cause affidavit appears strong, but it's just a prosecution document," said John Berry. "At the end of the day, this is law enforcement's narrative."

Mallory Hughes, who is also representing LeGrone in this case, said the probable cause affidavit leaves things out.

"The probable cause affidavit discusses communication between the accuser and Mr. Hunt, and what I did not see is the contents of those communications and what would lead a 19-year-old girl to go to the house of a stranger and what her plans were once she got there," Hughes said.

Lincoln Police are also investigating additional sexual assault reports made by other alleged victims. But LeGrone's attorneys said no one should be quick to judge.

"What it comes down to is the Constitution of the United States, that protects Mr. LeGrone and protects each and every one of us, says he is innocent right now, and he will remain innocent until a jury of 12 people says otherwise and finds otherwise beyond a reasonable doubt," Hughes said.

Both men were suspended in late August and dismissed from the team last month. Both are out on bond.