Grand Island man gets 42-48 years for 2018 New Year's Day murder

Published: Jan. 1, 2018 at 12:03 PM CST
Email this link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

The Grand Island man convicted of a New Year's Day 2018 shooting death got a lengthy prison term Friday.

Herbey Portillo, 25, who was convicted in March of this year of second degree murder was sentenced Friday to 42-48 years in prison by a Hall County District Court judge.

Second degree murder means that the shooting death was committed intentionally and maliciously, but without premeditation.

Portillo's lawyer described the night of the shooting. Saying Portillo had arrived at the residence of Trevor Sok to purchase cocaine from another person who lived there. He said an altercation between Portillo and others had begun and Portillo attempted to flee the house after firing a shot.

Sok then appeared to help remove Portillo from the house. When he reached the top of the stairs Portillo fired five times, three of the bullets struck Sok.

Sok's mother read a letter describing her son and what had happened since his death. She said through tears that she hopes he can feel some remorse.

Portillo then stood up and gave his recounting of the night of the shooting. He said "it haunts me" and said not a day goes by that he does not think of the shooting.

Portillo stood accused of the shooting death of Trevor Sok, 19, in the early morning hours of New Year's Day, 2018.

Grand Island Police said the shooting happened at 1303 W. Charles St. around 3:45 a.m.

Emergency personnel responded and found Sok, 19, suffering from gunshot wounds. He was transported by ambulance to the CHI Health St. Francis Emergency Room where he died from his injuries.

Sok was a 2017 graduate of Giltner Public Schools.

When I received the report early this morning of the senseless tragedy that had taken place, I was consumed with...

Posted by Jeremy Jensen - Former Mayor of Grand Island on Monday, January 1, 2018

Latest News

Latest News