3 officers treated for smoke inhalation following fire Tuesday morning

By  | 

LINCOLN, Neb. (KOLN) - Three officers were treated for smoke inhalation and two people were transported to the hospital following a fire at a Lincoln apartment complex on Tuesday morning.

Lincoln Police were originally called to the apartment building near 23rd and A on a vandalism call, according to Lincoln Fire and Rescue spokeswoman.

She said when police arrived on scene, they found smoke and flames.

Lincoln Police helped one person out of the apartment, while a second person was able to get out on their own.

According to LFR, a 34-year-old man woke up to smoke and heat, and tried to wake his girlfriend but was unable to.

The 48-year-old female suffered burns and smoke inhalation, and officers had to break a window to get her out.

The two people were transported to the hospital with non-life-threatening injuries.

According to LFR, $10,000 worth of damage was done to the structure, and $5,000 worth of damage was caused to the contents of the home.

The cause of the blaze was food left on a stove, LFR said.