Lawsuit filed against Pizza Ranch in Lincoln after reported E.Coli poisoning
A lawsuit has been brought against Pizza Ranch in Lincoln on behalf of a Nebraska child who was hospitalized for four weeks with complications from E.coli food poisoning.
The suit was filed March 29, 2016 in the United States District Court for the District of Nebraska.
According to the lawsuit, the family ate at Pizza Ranch in Lincoln on Dec. 31 and a third grader, referred to in the complaint as L.P. began experiencing symptoms three days later.
The child was severely dehydrated and she was admitted to the hospital. Tests came back positive for E.coli.
Elliot Olsen, the attorney for the family explains, “L.P. then went on to develop hemolytic uremic syndrome (HUS), a severe complication of E. coli infections that is the most common cause of acute renal failure in children. Due to L.P.’s dangerously low kidney function, doctors were forced to place a port for dialysis. L.P also developed pancreatitis as a complication. Over the next three weeks this child endured five blood transfusions, nine rounds of dialysis, and had a feeding tube placed in her intestines.”
“This is the second child to develop HUS in connection to this outbreak. Young children are especially vulnerable to the devastating effects of an E.coli infection, and because of this, food providers need to prioritize the safety of their product. It is our hope that through civil action we can make Pizza Ranch and other companies live up to their promises of safe products.”
The father of the sickened girl also issued a statement regarding this outbreak.
“Our intent in pursing this case is holding the wrongdoers accountable. On New Year’s Eve we went to lunch as a family and as a result our daughter suffered horrific pain, developed a nearly fatal disease, and
faces potential lifelong complications. That should not happen to any family, period. If we had known about the situation we could have made different choices.”
Ryan Achterhoff, Chief Administrative Officer for Pizza Ranch, provided a comment on the situation to 10/11 reporter Alice Kleinpeter.
"We’re very concerned whenever there’s a question about the quality of our food. That’s why we acted proactively in early February when we first learned of a possible issue with one of our ingredients and why we take this filing very seriously," Achterhoff said. "We are thankful that the CDC has determined that this event has ended and that the young person named in the complaint is on the mend. As it is every day, our commitment to the safety of our guests and to the wholesomeness of every meal we serve is unwavering.”