Friends calling for prayers after Lincoln man was critically hurt at Eagle Raceway

By  | 

EAGLE, Neb. (KOLN) - As of Monday morning, Bryan West hospital confirms a Lincoln man remains in critical condition after a crash at Eagle Raceway on Saturday night.

Justin Vanderharr, 35, sustained head and internal injuries in the crash. He was one of at least three people who were injured.

According to the Cass County Sheriff's Office, deputies were called to the crash at 6:45 p.m. on Saturday.

60-year-old John Austin finished a heat race in his Hobby Stock race car. Near the finish line, the throttle on Austin's race car became stuck, causing the race car to leave the track via the pit exit at a high speed and become airborne.

The race car struck and pushed multiple vehicles, which caused Vanderharr to become pinned underneath one of the race cars.

The race car was lifted at the scene by several people and Vanderharr was transported to the hospital in critical condition.

55-year-old Michael Ramsey was also transported to Bryan West.

A third party was transported to CHI Health St. Elizabeth by Eagle Rescue.

Several other individuals refused treatment at the scene.

Eagle Raceway officials said a malfunction caused the Austin's throttle to stick. The investigation is ongoing.

A post on Facebook from Adam Gullion Racing reads:
On Saturday evening our crew was involved in a very horrific and terrifying accident at Eagle Raceway. A hobby stock exiting the track had a throttle stick sending him airborne and into a 4 wheeler then into our car and in turn shoving our car many feet and launching 2 of our crew members and pinning them under our car and Hiatt’s car. Our crew member Mike was transported via ambulance to Bryan West. He was treated for multiple lacerations and released home. Thanking God so hard for this! Our member Justin has not been so lucky. He currently remains in the ICU with a severe brain injury. He sustained multiple skull fractures, brain bleed and swelling, he is in a medically induced coma and on a ventilator. Unfortunately monitoring and time is all they can do right now as no surgery will help. He has also suffered a fracture of his leg that will need surgery (possible open wound) but nothing to be done until the brain is more healed. They have a pressure monitor in his head now to watch for swelling so action can be taken right away if need be. A 2nd CT this morning showed about the same results as last nights scan. We ask that you please pray for Justin and his family! The Racing community is a strong one, I know we can pull together and use the power of prayer. We also ask for respect and privacy for the family as they grasp what is going on and play the waiting game to see if the swelling goes down. Thank you all for reaching out. We are also happy to hear Mr. Hiatt is going to be okay and is home recovering also.