Man arrested in connection to Lincoln killing extradited, appears in court

By  | 

LINCOLN, Neb. – One of the three suspects arrested in connection to the homicide of a Lincoln man has been extradited back to Nebraska.

According to court documents, James Howard, 28, was booked into Lancaster County jail on Monday for accessory to a Class 1 Felony.

Howard was arrested in Leon County, Texas on Oct. 26 in connection to the killing of Stacy Talbot, 42 on Oct. 18.

He appeared in court on Tuesday afternoon, and had his bond set at 10 percent of $100,000.

Howard was appointed a public defender, and will appear in court for a docket call on Nov. 27 at 10 a.m.

Members of the Criminal Investigations and Narcotics Units of the Lincoln Police Department had obtained a warrant for Accessory to a Class I Felony for Howard.

A total of three people have been arrested in the case.

In addition to the arrest of Howard, Police said Jesse Wilson, 32, and Sherry Thomas, 34, were found and arrested in Clovis, New Mexico.

Investigators had obtained a felony arrest warrant for theft for Wilson, and Thomas had an active arrest warrant for attempt of a Class IV felony that was not a part of the on-going investigation into Talbot's death, police said.

On October 18, officers were called to the area of 14th and Judson at about 8:30 p.m. on a report of a man who jumped from a moving vehicle. When officers arrived, they found Talbot laying on 14th Street with a gunshot wound to his chest.

A witness told police he was traveling northbound in the area as the car Talbot was in headed south, and heard a loud bang that sounded like a blown tire shortly after the vehicle passed him, and he then turned around to check on Talbot, who was at that point lying in the street.

CPR was performed and he was taken to the hospital, but he died at 9:16 p.m.

According to court documents, investigators with the Lincoln and Lancaster County Narcotics Task Force had contacted Talbot at a residence near N. 14th and Manatt streets, which is less than a quarter-mile from where Talbot's body was found, a few days earlier. The documents say investigators knew the residents and associates were heavily involved in the use and sale of narcotics.

Investigators went back to the residence on Oct. 18 and made contact with the driver of a vehicle that was leaving the driveway. The driver showed police text messages received from Talbot shortly before his death, one of which said, "I need help now these people wont stop to let me out". Court documents say that message was sent just two minutes before witnesses called police.

An earlier message had indicated Talbot had been with Jesse Wilson and Sherry Thomas.

Police were able to identify the third person Talbot was with as James Howard by talking to other associates of Talbot and through surveillance video and documents from a pawn shop where Howard had purchased a .38 caliber handgun the day before Talbot was killed.