NDOT promotes safety this winter season with new billboards
Four roadside billboards are being unveiled this week to promote the Nebraska Department of Transportation's mission: Your Safe Travel Is Our Business.
They will serve as a reminder to the public of its responsibility to take proper winter-driving precautions.
The four displays, placed strategically across the state, are a way for NDOT to put the message on the road. Each of them featuring local snowplow drivers, letting motorists know their neighbors are the everyday heroes blazing the way through difficult conditions.
If you are going to venture out into hazardous conditions, keep these pointers in mind:
· Be prepared with warm clothing, water and food. If traveling a significant distance, stock a winter weather survival kit with additional items.
· Always buckle up, do not drive faster than conditions allow and allow for plenty of travel time.
· Blowing and drifting snow can reduce visibility.
· If you are stranded while traveling, stay in your vehicle until help arrives.
· If your vehicle becomes stuck, run your motor sparingly and keep a window cracked to prevent buildup of carbon monoxide. Have a red flag or bandana to signal for help.
· The Nebraska State Patrol Highway Helpline is available 24 hours per day for motorists in need of assistance. You can reach NSP by dialing *55 from any cell phone. Call 911 for any
For more safe-driving tips and winter weather information, visit NDOT’s website,