Fire caused by space heater displaces 6 people

By  | 

LINCOLN, Neb. (KOLN) - Fire officials say nobody was injured in a house fire late Monday night in Lincoln.

It happened just after 11 p.m. near 23rd and Orchard at a home, which houses two apartments.

Lincoln Fire and Rescue said they received a report of a suitcase on fire. When they arrived on the scene, they found heavy smoke and the fire was in the basement.

They were able to get it under control in about 30 minutes but not before the fire had made its way into the first floor.

LFR said the fire spread very quickly, causing $30,000 in structure damage and $30,000 in damages to contents.

Fire officials said the cause of the fire is a space heater too close to combustible materials.

All occupants made it out of the home and were uninjured.

According to LFR, there were no working smoke detectors in the home, marking the third fire in the past week without working detectors.

LFR said the home is not livable.