Cigarette causes early morning apartment fire, family displaced

By  | 

LINCOLN, Neb. (KOLN) - One family has been displaced from their home on New Year's Day after an early morning apartment fire, which was started by a discarded cigarette.

Lincoln Fire and Rescue arrived to a building near 24th and J Streets at about 2 a.m.

Crews found flames in a ground level apartment, but were able to extinguish them quickly.

The entire building was evacuated by LFR and Lincoln Police.

Battalion Chief Jeremy Gegg told 10/11 the occupants of the affected apartment were not home at the time and that the fire started in the living room.

LFR says the cause of the fire was a discarded cigarette. The damage is estimated to be $30,000 in structural damage and $10,000 in contents.

The residents of the affected apartment will be displaced for some time. None of the other residents were displaced.

Nobody was injured.