Several displaced after early morning duplex fire

By  | 

LINCOLN, Neb. — Several people were displaced after a duplex fire in southeast Lincoln, early Sunday morning.

Lincoln Fire and Rescue was called to the fire near 40th Street and Old Cheney Road at about 4 a.m.

LFR was able to put out the fire quickly, but the duplex was heavily damaged.

Fire Inspector Rick Campos said the fire caused about $80,000 in damage to the building and its contents.

Campos said some combustible items were set on the stove in one half of the duplex, and the burner was accidentally turned on, starting the fire.

All occupants were able to safely evacuate, but one person did suffer minor injuries after trying to find a dog that was left inside, and was taken to the hospital. The dog died in the fire, Campos said.

Campos said as a reminder, cookware is the only thing that should ever be set on a stove, and never anything combustible.

Campos also said none of the residents have renter's insurance, which would've helped cover all belongings lost in the fire, and some additional costs.

He said he urges all renters to get insurance, and said it usually costs about the same as a pizza each month.

Both sides are unlivable after the fire. LFR said the exact number of people who lived in each side of the duplex is unknown, but said that the fire is believed to have affected six to eight people.